Cermak Peterka Petersen’s staff is comprised of industry-leading Wind Engineers, and our customers include many of the world’s top architects and engineers. We operate two boundary-layer wind tunnels in our laboratory in Windsor, located along the front range of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, one wind tunnel in Sydney, Australia, and a tunnel in Malaysia, along with several offices around the world.
We are currently searching for an Atmospheric Scientist for our Weather & Climate Insights team, whose primary duties will be focused on wind statistical analysis and climate analytics and communicating results to engineers and clients.
- Interpret and communicate wind climate characteristics
- Identify representative climate data sets for various climate-related engineering studies from sources such as NCEI, and evaluate and perform quality control checks to produce datasets for analysis
- Identify extreme weather events and classify into storm types in historical datasets
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analyses, such as parent distribution and extreme value analysis on wind and snow data
- Advanced analysis techniques, tooling, and processes used by the Weather & Climate Insights team
- Write technical reports and communicate findings to engineers and clients
Education and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Atmospheric Science (or similar) or Engineering
- Knowledge of extreme weather processes or boundary layer engineering
- Efficiency in programming languages such as Python, MATLAB
- Strong English-language communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work independently as well as within a team
- Any of the following considered an asset:
- Experience with mesoscale models (i.e. WRF) and/or reanalysis datasets
- Database or GIS skills
- Knowledge of building code provisions for wind and climate
Salary Range: $70,000 – $90,000 (USD)/$95,000 – $122,000 (CAD) per year
CPP offers a competitive benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, LTD, STD, and 401K. We are an equal-opportunity employer.